Monday, June 2, 2014

don't make $ make sense





one time i dragged your lips along the atlantic
so you could remind my bruises
who their father was
but it still wasn't enough
to make up for the drunken aftertaste

and even though the alcohol spilled onto my sister's shirt
i never blamed you
because the beat was a ghost i wanted to haunt me
and i was so damn tired of doing the stalking

and lady i've been shopping in the boy's section
just to prove a shirt can't define gender roles
i spend all this time wondering why i'm not more like them
but maybe i should be wondering why they aren't more like me

cut your hair
bite your nails
tear out your hair
rip off your nails
manicures were for the haves, not the have-nots
the girls too good for drive-throughs
the broken-hearted with a magazine in one hand and a pint of ice cream in the other

my hands were wrapped around his throat
and i heard his heart beating louder than the distance
i squeezed harder and harder
but i'm not a killer
because even with blood burning the back of my throat
the ashes of your cigarette on my teeth
and my heart telling me "yes yes yes"
i let go

don't let me go.

who took the bullet for you?
all i know is i pulled the trigger and you're still here
listen that's your heart pounding louder than mine ever did
i can't kill the you that never existed

winter hands and summer eyes
distrust is something i can't deny

there was blood blood blood on the sidewalk
not enough toilet paper in the bathroom closet to dry my tears
but your face was empty

it doesn't matter how many times i tell myself
because you always seem to tell me more

my lips are impossible
your lips are impossible
our lips are impossible

2 comments:

  1. love this. I'm going to be thinking about this post for hours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEXI like, you're magnificent. I want to quote lines, but I'd just quote all of it. Your words are perfect.

    ReplyDelete