Thursday, June 19, 2014

i think i have a middle school crush?





your skin tastes like broken fences and cigarettes
your bitten fingernails are too honest
and i can't decide whose hair is longer

clean out my cuts with a knife
fill my silverware drawer with dead batteries
and let's bury the car keys in the backyard
so you'll have an excuse to stay home from work

let's run away to alaska
so everyday will be sweater weather
and we will cancel sundays in favor of two saturdays per week

i'm not ready to let you eat my heart just yet
i won't let you break my bones until you've heard them
memorized the way my hands stutter when the walls are quiet
but you can have my busted jaw
an old scale
and my favorite color

you're not mine
and i'm not yours
but if you help me find my mind
i will help you find yours
and i have a feeling they are swimming together at the bottom of a cold lake

i know the fingernail polish is chipping
and september is a fresh coat
and there's only one point we share along our lines
i know you love her and the bad news is
she's beautiful
but we are both broken killing ourselves paper and tooth growing
and we kissed on the hood of their car
and we both hated the movie
even though we saw it two weeks apart
you laugh at my jokes
you tried on my blazer
and we agreed on swedish fish and reese's

and this seems important

i know i'm only eighteen
and i drink starbuck's
and you don't know who won the french open
and even though i'm begging someone to bleed like me
we bleed differently
but our blood is the same color

and i try not to touch you as often as i'd like to
because i can tell you don't like it
but occasionally i punch you on the shoulder
like the answer to an inside joke
because i don't want to forget how to reach for you

and i know i like to talk about death and mortgages too much
but i promise not to wiretap your room
we can watch some more comedies
if you think that would push the crows off our shoulders

i'd only tell you after a sleepless night
because rejection is the monster under my bed
and sometimes i want to be your lover instead of your friend
but you're a middle school crush
we're dandelions
and mid-twenties are the birds of paradise
orchids
daffodils
carnations
hydrangeas

i guess what i'm saying is
don't run away until i know your middle name
because i want to drink in your moonshine shoulders
and breathe in your corruption
and kiss all ten of your nervous fingers
and i want to hear you play the guitar
even if you're singing about somebody else

and i'm sorry if you wrote out our love story
you couldn't write about my hair
or my legs
or my hands
but say something about my eyes

they're my best feature

1 comment: