Saturday, July 26, 2014

bravery and bathwater (aka dear ed)

the sun burns off the fingerprints
and the smoke grays the memories
but the boy listened

and the bruises simmered in the pot of oil
and the eyes looked
and the fingers closed

because b is for this broken bread
and r is for my road to recovery
and ave is for avery
and the sun
and the moon
and the stars too

but you werent supposed to be my broken bread
and he was never meant to be my savior
even when he rinsed his hands with bleach
and the blood ran away by the spoonful

and his words were meant for the linen closet
instead of table number three
but i still licked the hand that fed
and begged for more

you are not my avery
you are not my sun
you are not my moon
but i am one of the many stars you keep
in your back pocket
and the light bleeds from my hands

and i hope you see it.

you are the bathwater to my matchstick
the bird to my wings
and i am drowning
drowning
drowning

one cup two cups three cups
one cup two cups three cups

and the bath filled
and the girl gave in
and she dropped her lips to the water
and drank
while she watched the fall of the matchstick
pulling from her hands

i hope you see it.

5 comments:

  1. literally every word you write gets me
    (and thank you for all your nice comments on my blog. it means the world from you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Um. Not sure if you saw that reply to your comment on my post, but... anyways. You're fabulous. Let's write a book. And pronounce it like kook. and listen to the Kooks while we make it. um. Hi. you're really good. um. um. um. "one cup two cups three cups" you are an individual. call me this week and we'll hang out. You're cooler than cool. You're ice cold. alright alright alright alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chills. Please don't ever stop writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this so many times and I still cannot get over how amazing it is. I'd love to go into detail but I'm pretty sure I would just start rambling about how amazing and poetic every line is so I'm just going to say that you are a fantastic writer and this poem was so beautiful and moving and I hope you never stop writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "you are not my avery
    you are not my sun
    you are not my moon
    but i am one of the many stars you keep
    in your back pocket
    and the light bleeds from my hands"

    Oh man.

    ReplyDelete