Wednesday, July 23, 2014

depression's got me in a headlock

i'm on vacation
so my mom told me
to write about the beach

this is for the sticky fingerprints on the car windows
and the faces you traced with your index finger

the ice pops that dripped onto your lap
the way your sister's hair curled
and the days when you didn't have to worry
whether your mom would love you in the morning

but this year the seagulls didn't replace
the crows on my shoulders
and the waves pulled me out
instead of pulling me in

the rain ate at the pavement
but you forgot how to
and the sun smiled
like you fucked her boyfriend

she was out for blood
and the clouds were boys
who had gone without their mother
for too long

my stretchmarks apologized
like ex boyfriends
but my name still wasn't safe
in their mouths

the sand were men at the bar
who didn't hear the word no
and the mermaids didn't remember me
since i forgot to shave my legs
and buried my eyes at the foot of a grapefruit tree

the sun cooks my blood
my swimsuit doesn't look the same
i don't want to go outside
but i can't say no to all the pictures
and

i want to run away
i want to run away
and if heaven called i'd answer
but i'd still leave hell waiting on the other line

my footprints are stuck in my throat
along with September receipts that hurt too much
to read out loud
and letters i never had the right to send
and my red hair was left on the highway
next to the roadkill

but i still have my ribcage
and i think that's important

i wished upon a star
but both were dead in the past
along with my 11:11 wishes
and striped birthday candles

you left me your god
but i never did more than initiate awkward eye contact
from across the room

i'm just remembering the boy who hated the sand
and the way his hand reached for mine
as we were dragged out of the water park together

i saw my body cold on the sofa
my hair sewn like fringe on a vest
the basting stitches securing my shins
and my mom blaming me for the stain ten years down the road

and no matter how high the ends of my lips
the voices didn't leave my head
and no matter how i tried to bar them out
they repeated the same lines

"you are nothing
you are nothing"

they shot me with their emptiness
and sucked me into this hole in their chest

the sun is still yellow
the frogs are still croaking
the boys are still shirtless
and the world might be okay

but i am not.

i forgot how to dial your number
and how to get out of bed in the morning
showers don't clean me off as well as they used to
and the medication piles up on the counter
untouched

i no longer worship the sun
and i forgot my religion
but read me a poem
and i might remember

the world might be okay
but i am not.

the world might be okay
but i am not.

8 comments:

  1. [clearing throat]

    This was very good.

    [clearing throat some more]

    I really liked the structure, err, I mean, the words that you used, uh. And the part about the rib cage. That's important because it protects your heart, right? I don't know. I understand some of the things you said. And I liked those parts. But the parts I didn't understand: I loved those parts. Like being sucked into the hole of someone's chest. Hmm. That doesn't make sense. But it's still very neat. Errr. I mean, beautiful. Errrr. I mean, vivid errrr strong errrr I loved it and I'm not going to tell you why.

    Okay, here's the truth:

    I've been working on this poem in my head since Sunday. It's about a heart and sand and some sort of metaphor between the two of them. And a bunch of lines you wrote are like the things I've been working on. I find that bizarre. Either you broke into my brain and stole my notes or we're all part of some sort of collective unconscious that we can all tap into.

    Or I guess it could just be a coincidence. But I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting comments from you, especially long ones. They feel like they mean more coming from you. I like when you wrote "err" a lot, because I felt like I was talking to you in person. Anyway, I don't know if I believe in coincidences anymore. It has to mean something. At least I hope so.

      Delete
  2. Also...I think INTO should be IN TO toward the end of my comment. It doesn't matter.

    And

    1 Kings 4:29

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I think that's the first time I've ever read that scripture. But I'm looking forward to your post.

      Delete
  3. It kind of made me smile that your mom told you to write about the beach and you wrote about depression. Like, that's definitely not something to smile about, because it was heartbreaking and full of pain (and also beautiful, but what's new), but I'm sure she meant something along the lines of "seagull calls wrap around me as I breathe the sea" or something pretty and happy and you wrote about
    "the rain ate at the pavement
    but you forgot how to
    and the sun smiled
    like you fucked her boyfriend"
    and that really amuses me for some reason.
    anyways.
    you are very good writer and also are cool.
    congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy hell.
    I can't believe I haven't read this before and I apologize for swearing but this might be one of the best things I've ever read from you. This is beautiful, seriously, and I was expecting a description of depression but obviously you blew my mind.
    Again.

    "and if heaven called i'd answer
    but i'd still leave hell waiting on the other line".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahahahaha you apologize for swearing. Have you heard me? Hahaha Please don't :)

      Delete